Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thing 17 part 4

Well until this class I had never even heard about a Ning or even microbloging for that matter.

I did join Classroom 2.0, and posted the badge in an earlier post. I did not get very much out of the site until I was a member. I could spend hours and hours scrolling through the site and blogging in it, if I had that much time on my hands, but since I don't, I tried to stay with things that I could actually start using and maybe keep up with. My blog Thing 17 part 2 is the ning I thought I could utilize first and then maybe expand as I go along.

I decided that starting a classroom web site through schoolrack was a good free way to start with something that I could use and my students and parents could look at for additional information. http://www.schoolrack.com/panedlife

I think there is a lot of information out there we as teachers just have to be able to find it. I recall in one of your videos, that you said you did not get much out of something, until you spent the time to create what you needed out of the site. I think this is so often the case, we don't want (or have) the time to find out everything that we can about what we teach. It is always a race to the finish line to make sure material is covered before test time.

As for my own microblogging site I am not sure about that. I think I would be more comfortable joining someone else's for a while to see what I really could or would use it for.

I have a plurk http://plurk.com /user/panedlife and I have a twitter www.twitter.com/pannellcatlanta So I think I need to play with these a while and get more comfortable with them. Then who knows I will see where it takes me.

2 comments:

  1. Building a PLN and getting what you want or need out of it definitely takes time. It's a personal investment and for me it's much like a second job since I feel as though I need to take the time to nurture the relationships I have with my colleages to ensure the health of my network. Personally, I think building a PLN could be a coure by itself. What I wanted to give everyone was an introduction into what a PLN was and how it can be a beneficial professional learning tool. If you've at least come away with that understanding, then I feel pleased. It's great that you joined Classroom 2.0!! I'm super psyched to hear that you found that site on there, too. That was a new one to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to get more educational friends in Plurk especially special education teachers.

    ReplyDelete